Tuesday , February 20 2018
Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) chief commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi

Anti-Terrorist Court issues notice to LeT chief Lakhvi

By Arif Qureshi | September 8, 2016 |

Islamabad: An Anti-Terrorist Court (ATC) issued summons to Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) chief commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi and his seven subordinators in the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks case. The notice ordered the Government and Mumbai attacks accused to examine the boat Al Fauz which was used by the Mumbai attackers to sail Mumbai. Apparently, the LeT militants had left Karachi on the boat on 23 November 2008 and killed 166 people in the attack including foreigners belong to many countries.

Boat named Al Fauz was used by ten terrorists from Karachi towards Mumbai which is docked at Karachi as crucial evidence. LeT chief Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, the accused mastermind of the 26/11 attacks in Mumbai, is among those who have been asked to explain their stand about the inspection of the Al Fauz. LeT chief  lawyers argued that the Al Fauz should not be inspected by a special team of experts appointed by the court.  ATC has set the next date of hearing on 22nd September.

Responding to the developments Ujjwal Nikam, the special prosecutor handling the 26/11 case in India, clearly unhappy about the development said that the whole exercise is a sham and pointed out the fact that Pakistan is doing this in light of the SAARC summit which they’re hosting later this year, where they want to “pretend to be against terrorists”.

In Pakistan Mumbai attacks case has been underway for more than six years and the only development came last year in april when ATC granted bail to main accused LeT chief Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, the other accused still behind the bars are Abdul Wajid, Mazhar Iqbal, Hamad Amin Sadiq, Shahid Jameel Riaz, Jamil Ahmed and Younis Anjum accused of abetment to murder, attempted murder, planning and executing of the 26/11 Mumbai attacks.

[Hafiz Saeed addressing Difa-e-pakistan Council(DPC) seminar in Islamabad]

The hearing of Mumbai attacks case occurred on the occasion when a blame game is going on between LeT founder Hafiz Saeed and United States. On Wednesday addressing a seminar of Difa-e-pakistan Council(DPC) in the light of the 51st Defence Day of Pakistan, Hafiz Saeed claimed that the present pact between India and America against the China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC). “America’s issue is China; India’s issue is Pakistan. The interest of both has become one, because of CPEC. This is the basis of their new pact.” LeT foundern said.

Responding to the Hafiz Saeed allegations the United States has completely denied the statement made by Hafiz Saeed, founder of the banned Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT). Speaking to media during the daily press briefing, the United States State Department Deputy Spokesperson, Mark C Toner said, “I mean, I would dismiss it outright. We have a strong bilateral relationship with Pakistan, but one that is premised on counter-terrorism cooperation and as – as part of that conversation, or that dialogue and that cooperation that we have on counter-terrorism issues.”

Toner reiterated that Washington has made it clear to Islamabad that it has to go after terrorist groups who seek to harm neighbors. “We made it very clear that Pakistan can’t pick and choose which terrorist groups it goes after, and it has to go after those groups that seek to do harm to its neighbors and may seek refuge on Pakistani soil,” he added.

The Writer is Editor Daily Online News Paper “The Fortress” He can be reached at arifqoreshi@gmail.com

 

Check Also

Bhat and Guru are the symbols of resistance movement: Shaukat Butt

Islamabad: Paying glorious tributes to Shaheed Muhammad Muqbool Bhat and Muhammmad Afzal Guru on their …